NOTE: Click plus sign on the right to expand each item
- Instruction with Paul Stokstad.
- Meals: 10 breakfasts, 9 lunches, and 8 dinners. See B, L, D, under each day on the itinerary page.
- ALL transportation except for optional tours.
- Tour entrance fees.
- 6 tours (more info in next tab)
- Free time for the day or night tours.
- Ten nights accommodations, Day 1 through Day 9.
- Airfare to/from Costa Rica
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Day 1 because of various arrival times. Day 9, no dinner after arriving in San Jose. (Meals start at Breakfast, Day 2)
- Alcoholic beverages, (“Optional” “All-inclusive Alcoholic Beverage Package” for $220).
- Tours unless specified as (included) on this itinerary.
- All hotel charges apart from what has been included in this itinerary are your responsibility. During registration, you will provide a credit card for miscellaneous charges.
- Tips to waiters/waitresses, room maids, and drivers. You will find a tip envelope for the maid in your hotel room. It is customary to put about $2-$3/day in the envelope for the maids.
- Costa Rica’s Airport Tax of $29. Almost all airlines include this tax in your ticket. Please verify your airline has taken care of this. If it is not part of your ticket price, you must pay it at the airport at the time of your departure. The agents at the baggage-check counter will verify it for you.
- A covid-19 test, if it is still required before departure from Costa Rica to the USA. The approximate cost is $60.
TRIP INSURANCE: Check with your insurance company to see if your coverage transfers to a foreign country. At least consider trip cancellation insurance. Also, check with up-to-date covid mandatory health insurance.
Six Included Tours
- Visit a private beach, well-known to the locals. White-faced capuchin monkeys inhabit the entire area at this beach; many with babies on their backs! There are also iguanas and darling coatis with little smiling faces!
- Let us share with you our favorite 3 miles-long, palm-lined, vacant beach with gorgeous, almost one-of-a-kind, sunsets because of the angle of the beach. You will see the beautiful scarlet macaws that frequent the shoreline’s trees, and pelicans skimming the waves for fish.
- Tour an organic eco-coffee farm. This excursion and lunch there at this organic farm is a definite favorite of all who have visited it. There is a fun surprise at the end, but we won’t ruin it for you.
- Tour a family-owned and-run butterfly business that raises and sells butterfly chrysalises to many parts of the world!
- Visit a beautifully landscaped animal refuge, built specifically to house and rehabilitate injured animals, and those who have been in human captivity, making it impossible for them to fend for themselves out in the wild. You will see a very special toucan, who surely would have died, had a famous surgeon not made a prosthetic beak for the bird! Some people are upset that these animals are, at this time, behind cages, but many of them are rehabilitated and trained to find food on their own. When they are deemed ready, these animals are released back into the wild. There is a huge staff of various specialists and workers behind the scenes. A special tour can be arranged for the behind-the-scenes work.
- You will experience history, culture, and the ingenuity of years past here in Costa Rica…and it’s still being used today!!! This tour is always a very interesting experience for all. We’ll keep you in suspense or it will ruin the surprise.
Optional Tours In La Fortuna Area
- Hanging Bridges canopy tour through the rainforest (Mistico Arenal Hanging Bridges Park..get a guide.)
- Aerial tram above the canopy
- Rainforest Chocolate Tour
- La Fortuna Waterfall..(500 steps down..and back) or take a horseback ride to it
- Night Walk in Rainforest
- River rafting
- White water rafting
- Souvenir shopping in La Fortuna town
- Tarzan swing
- Butterfly Conservatory in El Castillo, with 4 weather habitats..(very educational and interesting)
- Sloth watching trail
- Coffee tour
- Horseback riding to various places including the Arenal Volcano
- SUP and kayaking on Lake Arenal
- Venado Caves Spelunking Adventure
- Waterfall rappelling
- Mountain biking
- Boat ride to town of Montverde
Optional Tours From Our Hotel
If you can, take a tour offered from the front desk because it will be less expensive than going into La Fortuna. Look at the hotel website and go to the tour tab. They have a variety of tours to see the “real” Costa Rica.
We suggest that one of them be Finca Don Juan, Arenal Volcano, and Hot Springs. This tour gives such a variety and everyone always enjoys the trip.
Some of the main tours, like ziplining and river rafting that are here, are also available in town.
Suggested Tour Companies
SUBJECTS COVERED ON THIS PAGE: (PLEASE READ EACH CAREFULLY)
- Booking your flight to and from San Jose, Costa Rica
- Arrival into Costa Rica
- Leaving Costa Rica
- Travel insurance (Including trip cancellation), is highly recommended.
- Important passport information
- Facilitate your credit card use in Costa Rica
- Cancellation policy
BOOKING YOUR FLIGHT TO AND FROM SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA: Please read carefully.
- Your airport for San Jose is Juan Santamaria Intl Airport. Airport Code: SJO
ARRIVAL INTO COSTA RICA:
- You will fly into Costa Rica on FRIDAY, SATURDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2022.
- This day is a travel day, as people will be arriving from all over the states throughout the day.
- Meals are not provided today, as many will arrive late.
- Your hotel at the airport will be announced as the tour gets closer. This hotel is well-like by our past guests!
- A free hotel shuttle is provided.
- Your pick-up the next morning, SUNDAY, DECEMBER 4TH, IS AT 8:15 A.M.
LEAVING COSTA RICA:
As of Oct. 26, 2021, Covid tests must be taken before departing Costa Rica. They will be provided at your hotel.
If you are not vaccinated; you must have a covid-19 test any time the day before your flight departs.
If you are vaccinated: you must have your covid test no more than 72 hrs before your flight departs.
Our last day of the tour provides transport to San Jose’s Juan Santamaria International Airport.
TRAVEL INSURANCE (including trip cancellation) is highly recommended. Please read carefully.
We highly recommend that you invest in travel insurance for any trip you purchase. This will help you feel at ease during your adventure. If one of the situations below occurs, you will be provided assistance and refunds. Here are some situations that can occur;
- Medical emergencies
- Change or Cancel your flight
- Lost baggage
- Cancellation of your tour
- Items stolen or lost during the trip
- (You are fully covered for bodily injury by our contracted Costa Rican transportation service).
- Speak with your insurance provider to ask about the travel insurance plans they have available. You can also compare policies online. Here are two well-known travel insurance providers to consider:
- See “Terms and Conditions” here
IMPORTANT PASSPORT INFORMATION: Please read carefully.
When planning a trip, most countries require that a passport be valid for at least six months left on your visa beyond the completion date of the planned trip. Please check your passport to make certain you have that extra time left on your passport. Costa Rica is not too strict on this, but it is always best to have some time left on your passport anyway.
FACILITATE YOUR CREDIT CARD USE IN COSTA RICA:
Make sure that you provide your travel dates to your credit card company. This will assure your full use of your card while in the country. Otherwise, your company will assume that your card has been stolen and will cut off the use of your card!
TOUR CANCELLATION POLICY: Please read carefully.
- Your deposit of $500 is non-refundable, however, we can apply it to another tour in the future.
- If you have paid your final payment at the 60-day deadline and then need to cancel, a partial refund might be available depending on prior commitments to our vendors.
- Should we cancel the tour you will be entitled to a full refund.
Hotel Day 1
Your hotel will be announced as the tour gets closer. Upon arrival in Costa Rica, you will stay in a hotel near the airport.
- 2 pools
- restaurant and bar
- gift shop
- business center
- fitness center
- wheelchair accessibility
- airport shuttle
- complimentary cookies
- free hot buffet breakfast
- flat-screen television; (Suggestion; if you like t.v. in English, bring a Roku, Google Chromecast, or Firestick (with an HDMI connector to it and the included power cord)..otherwise, most or all programs in Costa Rica are in Spanish.)
- in-room coffee, tea facility
- daily newspaper
- in-room safe
- work desk
- individual room climate control
- Air conditioning
- in-room fridge
- (The list of amenities doesn’t include “soap, shampoo, etc” but we feel pretty certain that these are included with the room. Most hotels here have that. Especially this caliber of the hotel).
THINGS TO DO IN SAN JOSE AFTER ARRIVING EARLY, IF YOU HAVE TIME TO WANDER;
- Cafe Britt Coffee plantation
- The Children’s Museum
- Pueblo Antiguo- with a re-created turn-of-the-century village. Lots of Costa Rican history and includes folk dance shows.
- Costa Rican Art Museum
- Jade Museum
- La Sabana Park
- Mercado Central (San Jose’s Central Market). Very interesting; typical Costa Rica market..different than grocery stores.
Hotels Day 2-4
Your hotel is located at the joining of two beaches in among rainforest surroundings.
Rooms include A telephone, Free Wi-Fi, Daily housekeeping, Free wireless Internet, Cable TV & free movie channel, Air conditioning, In-room safe, Alarm radio, Private bathroom, Iron, ironing board, laundry service, and Desk / Work area.
THIS HOTEL’S AMENITIES:
- The resort provides a medical facility near the front desk. It is available to anyone staying at Hotel Punta Leona.
- Phone Calls: 15 min. Free international calls, DAILY.
- Wireless internet
- Cable television
- 2 Queen sized beds
- Mini refrigerator
- Coffee & tea kit
- Soap and shampoo/ conditioner
- Air Conditioned rooms
- In-room safe
- Beach towels exchange program for use at beaches or pools.
- Food: Unlimited food offerings from 7:00 am to 10:30 p.m. The hotel includes 3 restaurants. One is in lush green forest surroundings, near your rooms, and the others are located near each beach.
Two bars are near the beaches, and one is at your restaurant near your rooms.
- Activities: Fun daily activities for all ages. See below for the long list of regular and water sports available at the hotel, listed under “Hotel’s Regular & Water Sports, Activities, and Classes”.
- Pickleball: Located at the tennis courts (Pickleball Costa Rica will provide the nets, balls, and the taping of the tennis court for your pickleball play)
- Swimming: 3 Swimming pools
- Entertainment: Daily daytime and nighttime activities for adults and children.
- Bar discotheque: Opening hours 10:00 pm until 01:00 am.
- Kids: Children’s playground and activities
- Parking, 24-hour security,
- Gift Shop
- Tour desk
- Laundry service
- Golf carts are available for rent to peruse around the expansive grounds.
- The hotel shuttle runs all day to various parts of the hotel facilities.
HOTEL’S REGULAR SPORTS AND WATER SPORTS, ACTIVITIES, AND CLASSES
- Water Sports: Snorkeling, Stand Up Paddleboards, Boogie Boards, Kayaking, Paddle Boats, Swimming, Banana boats, Surfing, Boccias, Water Polo, Pool Volleyball, and Water Basketball.
- Regular Sports: Tennis (and pickleball for our groups only), Mini Golf, Beach Volleyball, Walking Trails, Tai Chi, Yoga, Soccer fields, Ping Pong, Boccia, Hiking
- Complimentary Guided Morning Nature Tour.
- Guided Night Walk: See the teaming life that arrives in the night. Guided tour.
- Birdwatching (early morning is best ONLY). Must pre-register. Take the free 6:30 a.m. guided tour and see over 300 species of birds, such as toucans, scarlet macaws, parrots, hummingbirds, and much more throughout the property).
- Butterfly garden
- Insect Observatory
- Natural History Walk
- Nature Spa
- Evening activities: Karaoke bar at Al Garet Bar. Bingo
- Classes: Cooking, Dancing lessons to Latin Music: (Cumbia, Salsa, Merengue, Bachata). Aqua classes (Aqua gym). Cardio gym. Aerobics.
- Championship Golf Course 15 min. drive from Punta Leona Hotel.
Hotel Days 5-9
This exclusive hotel is located next to a river in a lovely green valley near a scenic volcano in the north-central area of Costa Rica. The hotel name will be announced as the tour date comes closer. It is near La Fortuna and Arenal volcano where you will have a chance to see the “real” Costa Rica more easily. This area is out of the major tourist areas.
THE HOTEL: All-inclusive Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner buffets and coffee shop.
- English speakers
- River view
- Non-smoking 4-star hotel
- Coffee shops and restaurants with special diet menus
- Comfortable beds
- 24 hr. security
- Bar/lounge with alcohol, beer, wine, and champagne
- Snack bar
- Free High-Speed Internet/Wifi
- 3 pools with pool towels
- Sauna, hot tub/jacuzzi
- Tennis courts, (and for our trip, pickleball courts!)
- Dry cleaning, laundry, and ironing services
- Shuttle bus service/transport to La Fortuna
- Airport transportation / (if you leave after the rest of our group)
- Business center with Internet
- Gift shop
- Picnic area
- Horseback riding
- Botanical and butterfly gardens
- Sports facilities
- Lots of land to walk and explore the area’s wildlife
EACH ROOM INCLUDES:
- Air conditioning
- Non-smoking rooms
- Ceiling fans
- Flatscreen TV with cable/satellite; (Suggestion; if you like t.v. in English, bring a Roku, Google Chromecast, or Firestick (with an HDMI connector to it and the included power cord)..otherwise, most or all programs in Costa Rica are in Spanish.
- Free High-Speed Internet/Wifi
- Private bathroom with hot water
- Shampoo and liquid soap
- Private balcony
- Bottled water, (FYI, the water all over Costa Rica is safe. Please feel free to drink the local water. The bottles are just for your convenience.)
- Wake-up service/alarm clock
- Room service
- In-room safe